While USA Track & Field is the governing body and issuer of rules for the sport of running, local event directors are encouraged to adopt these RRCA recommended policies to further support and promote fair competition for athletes, especially those competing for prize money and age group awards.
Prize Money Eligibility Policy
To be eligible for elite entry or prize purse at (INCLUDE NAME OF EVENT), an athlete must:
Any athlete that believes they have been barred from the event or the opportunity to earn prize money at the event because of mistaken identity due to near or exact name of a person currently suspended, banned or previously banned, must submit documentation certified by a notary in advance to the race director or elite athlete coordinator of the event proving that they are not the same person identified as serving a suspension, ban or previous ban. (
- Not be currently serving a suspension issued by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) or the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for use of a banned substance
- Not have ever served a ban issued by USADA or WADA for the use of performance enhancing drugs
- Not be represented by coaches and/or agents who have had 2 or more athletes receiving such suspensions in the previous 4 years
- Not be represented by coaches and/or agents who served a ban for use of performance enhancing drugs during their own athletic career*
- Provide proper documentation proving they are eligible for prize money (form W-9, W-8ECI or W-8BEN)
- Sign a statement attesting they are in compliance with USADA and WADA anti-doping regulations related to banned substance use and if issued a doping suspension or ban in the future, they will not be allowed back at the event for any reason
- Consent to random drug testing according to the standards and procedures of USATF, USADA and WADA
event organizers will need to clearly outline the exact person to submit documentation to for this recourse section of the policy)
*Athletes have a duty to ensure they are represented by reputable coaches and agents and have a duty to consult the WADA list of athletes that are or have served a doping ban before signing with a coach or agent.
To assist race directors and elite athlete coordinators, Road Race Management has developed and maintains a database of runners (both foreign and domestic) that have or are currently serving a doping ban. If race organizers provide prize money, they should consult this database to ensure their elite entrants are not currently suspended or serving or have served a doping ban. Athletes found to be listed in the database should be barred from competing for prize money in their event. Race directors and elite athlete coordinators are encouraged to cross reference their elite athlete entrants with the IAAF list
of athletes serving or are have served a doping ban.
It is important to note that a race should never announce if they bar an athlete from competition, because the athlete cannot comply with the policy above. If event organizers find an elite entrant in violation of this policy, they should simply contact the coach, agent or athlete to outline why the will not be allowed to compete in the event and be eligible for prize money or awards.
Prize Money Eligibility Athlete Statement Sample
I, (ELITE ATHLETE'S FULL NAME), as an elite athlete entrant eligible to earn prize money at the (RACE NAME) on (DATE OF RACE), agree and attest that the following statements are true:
Signed: (ATHLETE'S FULL NAME) Date: (DATE SIGNED)
- I have not taken a performance enhancing substance on the WADA banned substance list
an athlete competing in the United States, I am in compliance with
anti-doping policies set forth by USA Track & Field and USADA
- I am not currently serving a suspension or ban issued by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) or the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for use of a banned substance
- I have never served a ban issued by USADA or WADA for the use of performance enhancing drugs
- I am not represented by a coach or agent who has had 2 or more athletes receiving such suspensions in the previous 4 years
- As an athlete, I understand I have a duty to ensure I am represented by a
reputable coach and agent, as such, I am not represented by a coach or agent who has served a ban for use of performance enhancing drugs during their own athletic career.
- I have provided proper documentation proving I am eligible for prize money (form W-9, W-8ECI or W-8BEN)
- If I am found in violation of this policy before, during or after this event, I understand I will not be eligible to compete for prize money or awards, and I may be banned from future participation in this event.
Witness: (NAME OF PERSON APPOINTED BY THE RACE TO WITNESS ATHLETE SIGNATURES - IDEALLY ELITE ATHLETE COORDINATOR)
Signature of Witness: