Connect With Us on Social Media
Over 2,400 running club and event members nation-wide.
Sign Up For Email Updates
Keep Pace with the RRCA. Sign up now for monthly email updates about the RRCA. Don’t worry we will not sell or give away your email address.
RRCA 2012 Hall of Fame Inductees and 2011 National Running Award Recipients
ARLINGTON, Virginia – February 15, 2012 – The Road Runners Club of America, the oldest and largest distance running organization in the United States, is pleased to announce the 2012 RRCA Distance Running Hall of Fame Inductees and the 2011 National Running Award recipients. Since 1971, the RRCA has honored dedicated individuals for their outstanding service to the RRCA and the sport of distance running. The outstanding contributors to our sport will be honored at the upcoming RRCA National Running Awards Banquet and Ceremony on March 17, 2012, in Memphis, Tennessee. We encourage all RRCA members to join us for this event to celebrate these contributors to the running community. For more information on the awards and past recipients, please visit our National Running Awards page.
RRCA Distance Running Hall of Fame Inductees:
• Abdi Abdirahman
• Linda Somers-Smith
• Joe Vigil
Outstanding Club President of the Year
• Beth Onines – Alpine Runners of Lake Zurich – Lake Zurich, IL
Browning Ross Spirit of the RRCA
• Al Becken – RRCA Board Member (1986-89), State Rep of the Year (1984)
Outstanding State Representative
• Betsy Boudreaux – Louisiana
Outstanding Volunteer of the Year
• Mary Zemansky – Calumet Region Striders of Northwest Indiana – Calumet, IN
Outstanding Youth Program Director
• Marc Glotzbecker – Fremont Flash Youth Running Program – Freemont Elite Runner’s Club – Fremont, OH
Road Runners of the Year
• Ryan Hall – Open Male
• Janet Cherobon-Bawcom – Open Female
• Terry McCluskey – Male Master
• Linda Somers-Smith – Female Master
Outstanding Club Newsletter – Small Club
• The River to River Running Reporter – Editor David Bond – River to River Runners – Carbondale, IL
Outstanding Club Newsletter – Large Club
• River City Runners and Walkers Newsletter – Editor Donna Graham – River City Runners and Walkers – Parkersburg, WV
• Wicked Running Register – Editor Michele Campbell – Wicked Running Club – Salem, MA
Club Writer of the Year
• Ed Hardee – Amelia Island Runners – Fernandina Beach, FL
• Rachel Toor – Senior Writer, Running Times Magazine
• Garden State Track Club – www.gardenstatetc.org
Outstanding Beginning Running Program
• Evan Thomas – Annapolis Striders Beginning Running Program – Annapolis, MD
RRCA Road Race of the Year
• Presidio 10 – Race Director, Jeff Landry – The Guardsmen – San Francisco, CA
The RRCA thanks the following individuals for serving on the various award selection panels. Each selection panel includes RRCA members from around the country. Thank you to: Mitch Garner, Amby Burfoot, Bill Rodgers, Don Kardong, Doug Kurtis, Frank Shorter, Jacqueline Hansen, Jim Oaks, Joan Samuelson, Joe Henderson, Ken Young, Kim Jones, Lisa Rainsberger, Steve Spence, Bee McLeod, Gary Corbitt, Brent Ayer, Lisa Paige, Kelly Richards, Mark Grandonico, David Purinton, Chip Allman, David Epstein, Larry Eder, Brenda Barrera, Dan Edwards, John Farrow, Mark Miller, Nancy Hobbs, George Rehment, Tom Downing, Lena Hollmann, Blaine Moore, Simon Adair, Lisa Dahl, Tony Flesch, Beth Onines, Tom Kramer, Dan Kesterson, Mike Dove, Sue Brown-Nickerson, Jessica Sleight, Mark Ward, Kathryn Gleghorn, Bailey Penzotti, Chris Burch, Chuck Bartlett, and Tim Short. Thank you to RRCA Program Coordinator William Dyson for coordinating the selection process.
About RRCA: The mission of the RRCA is to promote the development and growth of running clubs and running events throughout the country and to support the common interests of runners of all abilities during all stages in life. Through the RRCA, we provide a national infrastructure for the development of adult and youth running clubs and events that have boomed into a robust sporting activity.