The goal of the RRCA’s Kids Run the Nation Grant Fund is to provide financial assistance to running clubs, schools, and community-based nonprofits interested in implementing or currently hosting youth running programs. The RRCA awards these grants on an annual basis through an application and selection process.
Since 2007 the RRCA has:
- Granted over $295,000 to more than 376 youth running programs in the U.S.
- Been instrumental in getting more than 150,100 kids running as part of a healthy lifestyle
- Donated more than 88,600 copies of the Running Guide for Kids to youth running programs
Grant Application Criteria
Review the following criteria before submitting your grant application:
- Your program should have kids running regularly, more than once each week for multiple weeks, as opposed to participating in a one-time event. The program may culminate in a goal fun run or other organized running event.
- Your program should be a structured running program incorporating educational topics and running activities, ideally utilizing the RRCA’s Kids Run the Nation curriculum.
- Your program may be a startup program or an established program.
- Your program must be gender-inclusive, encouraging and welcoming participation by children of all genders. The program may not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnic origin, or economic status. The program may outline age groups and may indicate a minimum and maximum age for participation.
- Your program must meet SafeSport Act requirements, including completion of sexual abuse awareness and reporting training and ideally requiring criminal background checks on all adult program staff and volunteers.
Kids Run the Nation
- Marketing materials, brochures, posters, fliers, and other printed or digital materials informing parents about the program
- Advertising the program in a community newspaper or website
- Hosting a program website
- Permit or usage fees to use a local park or running track
- Hydration supplies, including water bottles, cups, or coolers
- Snacks and meals for program participants
- Incentives and awards such as Toe Tokens®, ribbons, shirts, water bottles, backpack tags, patches, etc.
- Mileage logs, worksheets, and other written and digital materials for program participants
- Other items that the RRCA Grant Selection Committee sees fit to fund
will not fund:
- Sports drinks or other high sugar, high sodium beverages
- Sponsorship for individual runners
- Travel to competitive events
- Race entry fees for individual participants
- Social events for program staff or volunteers
- Salaries or travel costs for paid program staff
- Competitive Track and Cross Country Teams that are governed by a statewide school athletic federation.
- Other items the RRCA Grant Selection Committee determines to be ineligible for funding