Music PRO logo banner

To assist our members, the RRCA has negotiated a simple and cost effective group music license with the performing rights organizations, BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc), American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP), and Global Music Rights (GMR) This service developed between the organizations is a first-of-its-kind in the running industry and provides RRCA members with a simple process at reasonable rates to obtain annual music licenses.

Similarly structured to the RRCA’s group liability insurance program for clubs and events, the BMI/ASCAP/GMR music license service has clearly outline License Fee Schedules for each PRO.  The fees assessed are based on participant numbers for events(s) that members own and where music is played.  The license runs on a calendar year, January 1 – December 31.

When joining/renewing, clubs, events, and event management companies may select “yes” when asked if they want to pay the fees and be included in the RRCA’s group music license service.  Your organization will be assessed the fees outlined below for each PRO. 

If you select yes, your music license will cover works from both all three PRO’s catalogs of songs. 

You will be required to provide event information (event name, date, participant numbers) that we will report to the PROs. 

If your organization elects to not utilize the RRCA’s insurance program, you MUST contact [email protected] to request an invoice for the affiliate membership dues and music license fees and provide proof of insurance.  If you report through our membership system directly for the purposes of obtaining a music license through this group service, you will be charged the insurance fees.

For all three PROs: BMI, ASCAP, GRM,  you will enter each event on the calendar, select the music option, and pay the fee as follows:

For BMI, the fee shall be based on total number of finishers in any/all event(s) that the club owns and will promote for the twelve (12) month period. For example your club owns ten events and you have 10,000 participants over all ten events, you pay the fee for the 10,000 participant tier of $1091. 

For ASCAP and GMR,  you will enter in each event on the calendar, select the music option, and pay the fee PER event based on the number of event finishers.

For all three PROs: BMI, ASCAP, GRM,  you will enter each event on the calendar, select the music option, and pay the fee PER event based on the number of event finishers.

2021 Music License Fee Schedules

Number of Event Participants Fee
0 - 1,000 $77.40
1,001 - 2,500 $135.00
2,501 - 5,000 $200.70
5,001 - 10,000 $285.30
10,001 - 20,000 $399.60
20,001 - 30,000 $466.20
30,000 and over $595.80
Number of Event Participants Fee
0 - 1,500 $110
1,501 - 3,000 $269
3,001 - 4,500 $471
4,501 - 6,000 $652
6,001 - 7,500 $867
7,501 - 10,000 $,1091
10,001 - 19,999 $1,419
20,000 - 50,000 $3,371

These fees include a $5 processing fee the RRCA will retain to manage the group music license service.

Number of Event Participants Fee
0 - 1,000 $100
1,001 - 5,000 $250
5001- 10,000 $500
10,001 - 20,000 $750
20,001 - 30,000 $1,000
30,000+ $2,500

Music License Serivce Q & A

A “public performance” of music is defined in the U.S. Copyright Law as one that takes place outside of a normal circle of friends and family. Songwriters, composers, and music publishers have the exclusive right to play their music publicly and to authorize others to do so under the Copyright Law. This is known as the “Performing Right.”  

There are four performing right organizations in the United States, ASCAP, BMI, GMR, and SESAC, and their purpose is to license businesses and other entities that publicly perform music in a cost-effective and convenient manner while protecting the performing rights of their respective songwriter, composer and music publisher members and affiliates.  Currently, the RRCA has a group relationship with ASCAP, BMI and GMR.

Yes, you will need to obtain a music license to play CDs, digital music files, streaming music or another form of music at your event even if a volunteer using their own music developed the play list.  That person does not have the right to share that music in a public space where people have paid an entry fee to participate in an event.

People mistakenly assume that musicians and entertainers (bands on course), and DJs must obtain licenses to perform copyrighted music. Event organizers cannot shift their responsibility to pay for a music license to musicians, entertainers (bands on course) or DJs. Since it is the event owner who ultimately benefits from the performance or playing of music, it is the event owner who must obtain the license, whether the performance is by a live band, DJ, or otherwise. Music license fees are one of the many costs of putting on an event if music is played.

Not really.  If your event charges an entry fee and plays music at the start/finish line for participants as part of the overall ambiance of the event, a Pandora for Business license doesn’t cover for your event.  You need to obtain a proper event license by utilizing the group music licensing service offered by the RRCA.  There is one caveat for using a system like Pandora for Business, if you host an expo the day before your event that is free and open to the public, you can play music using the Pandora for Business service and special player device.  Keep in mind that you still cannot play music from a personal Pandora account or other personal music streaming service at an expo or a race.

No, you are not required by the RRCA to participate in this service offered to members. However, your organization and its leaders must understand that no matter the size of your event, if you play music without a license, your event may be subject to legal action from a PRO if you do not have the appropriate license in place. Judgments from legal actions related to noncompliance with music licensing in other industries have been upwards of $35,000+ in fines and legal fees due.  If you pay the fee one year and neglect or refuse to pay the fee in futures year, but still play music at your event, you may be barred from utilizing the group music service in future years.

No, if you do not play music at your event(s), you do not have to pay the music license fee.  If you host several events and play music at only one or two events, contact the RRCA before submitting your membership application to determine proper reporting for the purposes of assessing fees for a license under the RRCA’s group agreement with BMI, ASCAP, and GMR.  We can work with you to only report and assess fees for the events where you play music.

Yes, if you play music in public, you must obtain permission from the copyright holders, which is mostly efficiently done through a Music License.  However, if your event does not charge an entry fee for participants, you may be eligible for a different/lower rate than the RRCA can offer through our group agreement with BMI and/or ASCAP.  You may contact BMI and/or ASCAP directly to see if your event qualifies for a different license with a lower fee structure.

No, you cannot just pay the license fee to access this membership benefit.  If your organization is not a member of the RRCA, you must join the RRCA as an affiliate member and pay membership dues of $100 to be eligible to access the RRCA group music license service.  If your organization or event becomes a dues-paying member of the RRCA to access the music license service, you are not required to use the RRCA’s group liability insurance program, but you must provide proof of comparable coverage in the form a Certificate of Insurance or proof of USATF insurance to become a member in good standing of the RRCA. If your organization elects not to utilize the RRCA’s insurance program, you MUST contact [email protected] to request an invoice for the affiliate membership dues and music license fees and provide proof of insurance.  If you report through our membership system directly, you will be charged the insurance fees.

No, not all event formats are included as part of this group music license agreement. RRCA members seeking a music license through the RRCA’s group shall not include professional or collegiate track and field type events open to participants only through qualification or invitation.  For BMI, we cannot include obstacle races, mud runs, color runs, or triathlons. For the ASCAP license and associated discount, we can include mud runs and color runs.  Covered events through the RRCA’s agreement with BMI and ASCAP are defined as running events with humans running and/or walking, and other similar events where the participation in the event is open to the general public, including events that hold a lottery open to the general public to allow participants to register for the event, a registration fee is charged to participate, and which includes music, whether or not music is the principal type of entertainment which occurs, and which is held within the United States of America, its territories and possessions.  Running events shall include events of varying distances that take place on the road, track, or trails including dash events, track events, 1mile races, 5K events, 10K or longer events, half and full marathons, ultramarathons (over 26.2 miles), cross country events, relay style events, and fun runs, including charitable event(s) sponsored by charitable organizations or for charitable purposes.

NO – you definitely cannot extend your club’s music license to events the club does not own.  This is just like the fraudulent transfer of RRCA insurance to a third party.  Simply put – don’t do it or your club will be barred from access to the group music service.

No, the music license is for your event day and does not grant you broadcast rights over social media.  The social media site may take down your video if music is detected.  If you play music via social media, you need to contact BMI, ASCAP, and GMR about a broadcast license.

Scroll to Top