The goal of RunPro Camp is to provide a comprehensive overview of what it takes and what is involved in becoming a professional distance runner, competing on the track, roads, in cross country, and on trails/ultras.
The interactive camp will provide opportunities to:
Through an application and selection process, the RRCA will provide a travel stipend for 15-20 athletes to attend this unique orientation to the world of professional distance running. Additional topics that are covered in during RunPro Camp include: understanding drug testing, community involvement, managing finances and taxes, funding and sponsorship opportunities, and more.
All applications will be reviewed, and you will be notified by mid-June if your travel and lodging will be funded by the RRCA.
Deadline to apply is June 1, 2023. NCAA eligibility must be completed before the Camp date of July 13 – 15, 2023.
Overview of 2023 Camp
- Date: July 13 – 15, 2023
- Camp Location: Double Tree Crystal City, 300 Army Navy Drive, Arlington, Virginia 22202
- Funding: Up to 20 selected athletes will be provided with lodging, meals, and travel reimbursement.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch will be provided at the meeting location. Dinner will be provided at selected venues.
- Travel: The RRCA will provide a certain level of reimbursement for athletes who travel, train, car. Details will be provided to invited athletes.
Friday, July 29
6:30 AM: Meet to Run
8:30-9:00 AM: Check-in and Breakfast provided by RRCA (DoubleTree Crystal City – Madison Room)
9:00-9:15 AM: Welcome and Overview of RunPro Camp
Speaker: Jean Knaack, Executive Director
9:15-10:15 AM: USA Track & Field and USATF Running Circuit
Speaker: Mike Scott, USATF
10:15-10:30 AM: Break
10:30-11:45 AM :Anti-Doping Compliance
Speaker: Scott Davern, Education Program Development Coordinator, USADA
11:45 -1:00 PM: Lunch provided by RRCA; Special keynote speaker Kiera D’Amato
1:00-2:00 Taxes & Finances
Speaker: Lauren Zangardi Haynes, Spark Financial Advisors
2:00-3:00 PM: Training at a Distance Center
Speaker: Chris Lundstrom, Minnesota Distance Elite
3:00 – 4:00 PM: Agent Representation vs. Self Representation
Speaker: Hawi Sports Management
4:00-5:00 PM: Professional Athlete Recruitment and Running for Prize Money
Speaker: Bill Orr, Elite Athlete Coordinator, Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
6:30 PM-9:00 PM VIP Dinner, Potomac View Room at the DoubleTree Crystal City
Saturday, July 17
6:30 AM: Meet to Run
8:30-9:00 AM: Breakfast provided by RRCA (DoubleTree Crystal City – Madison Room)
9:00-10:15 AM: Achieving Success Off-The-Track: Pro Runner Support Initiatives
Speaker: Jack Wickens, AthleteBiz & USATF Foundation
10:00-11:15 AM: Taking Care of Your Mental Health Needs
Speaker: Benson Langat, CSW, QMHP
11:15-Noon: Marketing Yourself & Building a Brand as a Pro Runner
Speaker: Jean Knaack, RRCA Executive Director
RunPro Camp Application
What People Say about RunPro Camp
RunPro Camp Alumni
RunPro Camp – 2022
- Owen Hoeft – Univ. of Minnesota
- Jacob Klemz – Univ. of Portland
- Brent Leber –Furman
- Melissa Menghini – Univ. of Missouri
- Riley Osen – Univ. of Portland
- Jeralyn Poe – Michigan State Univ.
- Nick Randazzo – Univ. of California, Santa Barbara
- Stephanie Sherman – Univ. of Toledo
- Cole Shugart– Univ. of Portland
- Brody Smith – Syracuse Univ.
RunPro Camp – 2021
- Benjamin Allen – Concordia Univ., St. Paul
- Gabrielle Jennings – Furman Univ.
- Judi Jones –Univ. of Nebraska
- Vincent Kiprop – Univ. of Alabama
- Grace Moore – Temple Univ.
- Aidan Reed – Southern Utah Univ.
- Joshua Yeager – South Dakota State Univ.
- Nadir Yusuf – Minnesota State Univ. Moorehead
RunPro Camp – 2019
- Colin Abert – Penn State Univ.
- David Barney – Florida State Univ.
- Annie Frisbie (Roads Scholar) – Iowa State Univ.
- Paul Hogan – UMass Lowell
- Frank Lara (Roads Scholar) – Furman Univ.
- John Lewis – Clemson Univ.
- Janelle Noe – Univ. of Toledo
- Josette Norris – Georgetown Univ.
- Dhruvil Patel (Roads Scholar) – North Central College
- Andrea Shine – Univ. of Iowa
- Jaci Smith – Air Force Academy
- Rachel Walny – Bowling Green State Univ.
- Matt Welch – Univ. of Portland
RunPro Camp – 2018
- Christine Bendzinski – Bucknell Univ.
- Joey Berriatua – Santa Clara Univ.
- Colin Bennie – Syracuse Univ.
- Allie Buchalski – Furman Univ.
- Jacob Dumford – Univ. of Notre Dame
- Philo Germano – Syracuse Univ.
- Alexandria Hackett – Abilene Christian Univ.
- Michaela Hackett – Abilene Christian Univ.
- Michelle Howell – Jacksonville Univ.
- Karis Jochen – Texas A&M Univ.
- Christopher Marco – Monmouth Univ.
- Jamie Morrissey – Univ. of Michigan
- Jaimie Phelan – Univ. of Michigan
- Quamel Prince – Tennessee State Univ.
- Chandler Reid – Adams State Univ.
- Troy Reeder – Furman Univ.
- Maria Scavuzzo – Miami (Ohio) Univ.
- Colin Schultz – Liberty Univ.
- Madeline Strandemo – Univ. of Minnesota
- Emi Trost – Univ. of Minnesota Duluth
RunPro Camp – 2017
- Gabrielle Anzalone (Roads Scholar) – Univ. of Wisconsin Madison
- Kelsey Bruce – Dallas Baptist Univ.
- Breanna Colbenson – Univ. of Minnesota Duluth
- Reed Fischer (Roads Scholar) – Drake Univ.
- Rianna Goins – UC Davis
- Ian La Mere – Univ. Wisconsin Platville
- Kevin Lewis – Univ. of Iowa
- Jennifer Owen – Arizona State Univ.
- Joel Reichow – South Dakota State Univ.
- Ryan Rutherford – Illinois State Univ.
- Rachel Weber – The Ohio State Univ.
- Futsum Zienasellassie (Roads Scholar) – Northern Arizona Univ.
RunPro Camp – 2016
- Erika Barr – UC Davis
- Margaret Connelly – Iowa State University
- Jeremy Greenwald – Georgia Tech
- Willie Milam – Gonzaga University
- Shannon Osika – University of Michigan
- Timothy Rackers – University of Tulsa
- Samantha Rivard – University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Abbabiya Simbassa (Roads Scholar) – University of Oklahoma
RunPro Camp – 2015
- Brogan Austin (RunPro Grantee) – Drake University
- Christopher Burnett – Wichita State University
- Johnny Crain (Roads Scholar) – North Central College
- Josh Dedering – University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
- Grace Graham-Zamudio – Loyola Marymount University
- Katy Moen (Roads Scholar/RunPro Grantee) – Iowa State University
- Robert Molke (Roads Scholar) – Syracuse University
- Mark Parrish – University of Florida
- Tara Richardson – Western State Colorado University
- Bethany Sachtleben (RunPro Grantee) – George Mason University
Rachel Sorna – Cornell University
RunPro Camp – 2014
- Juli Accurso – Ohio University
- Samantha Bluske (Roads Scholar/RunPro Grantee) – Iowa State University
- Nicole DeMercurio – University of Georgia
- Daniel Docherty – Loyola University Chicago
- Lindsey Drake – Gonzaga University
- Emily Gordon – (Roads Scholar) UCLA
- Katie Hoaldridge – University of Texas
- Brittni Hutton – Oakland University
- Olivia Mickle – University of Texas
- Daniel Quigley – (Roads Scholar) University of Missouri
- Ethan Shaw – (Roads Scholar) Dartmouth University
- Sheree Shea – Loyola Marymount University
- Susanna Sullivan – University of Notre Dame
- Jeffrey Veiga – Univ. of Massachusetts Lowell
RunPro Camp – 2013
- Eric Finan – (Roads Scholar)
- Michael Heller – Kent State University
- Meghan Nelson – (Roads Scholar) Iowa State Univ
- Jonathan Peterson – (Roads Scholar) UC Davis
- Gabriel Proctor – (Roads Scholar) Wes Colorado State
- Cydney Ross – Duke University
- Ben Sathre – University of St. Thomas
- Danielle Stack – Iowa State University
- Gina Valgoi – Loyola University
- Amanda Winslow – Florida State University
- Kristen Findley – Vanderbilt University
- Cate Westenhover – Baylor University
- Lara Crofford – Shippensburg University
- Lauren Kleppin – (Roads Scholar) Western State
RunPro Campers – 2011
- Sarah Porter
- Michael Crouch
- Kaitlin Gregg
- Devotia Moore
- Kate Van Buskirk
- Kristen McGlynn
- Darryll Oliver
- Christian Gonzalez
- Matt Llano (Roads Scholar)
- Mattie Suver (Roads Scholar)
- Jonathan Sees
- Elizabeth Yetzer
- Colton Tully-Doyle
- Jon Grey – (Roads Scholar)
- Mary Cate Quiett
- Andrew Benford
- Amy Van Alstine (Roads Scholar)
- David Adams
- Lisa Baumert
- Emily Anderson
- Alison Parris
- Jamie Cheever
- Chris Rombough